One of the most important things you can do as a parent is to get your child consistent preventative medical care. This gives you a chance to ask any questions or voice any concerns about your child and gives your child’s provider a chance to identify potential health problems or developmental delays before they become major concerns. Regular well-child visits will also help strengthen the patient-doctor relationship.
Well Visit Schedule
Our checkup schedule follows the guidelines set forth by the American Academy of Pediatrics. That schedule is as follows:
Newborn / First Week Visit
- 1 month old
- 2 months old
- 4 months old
- 6 months old
- 9 months old
- 12 months old
- 15 months old
- 18 months old
- 2 years old (24 months)
- 2 ½ years old (30 months)
- 3 years old, and
- Annually until the age of 21 years
What to Expect During a Well Child Visit
It is good to talk to your child about what to expect during a pediatrician visit. Your child’s visit might include:
- Evaluation of growth and development (including height and weight)
- A physical examination that may include a check of the heartbeat, breathing, ears and throat
- A visual exam of the skin
- Age-appropriate immunizations [link to immunization page]
- Age-appropriate medical screening tests that may include hearing, vision, hemoglobin, urinalysis, etc.
- Discussion of safety, nutrition, fitness, behavior, school, etc.
- A chance to ask questions
Prepare for Your Visit
To maximize your child’s time with the provider, we encourage the following to help you prepare for your visit:
- Bring a list of all medications along with dosage for all medications your child is currently taking
- Bring a list of any other providers your child sees along with theri contact information
- Be prepared to share how your child is doing (at play, at school, sleep, etc.)
- For newborns and infants, take note of how many wet and dirty diapers your child has each day, how often and how much he/she is eating, how many naps he/she takes and for how long, and how long he/she sleeps at night.
- Let us know about any special communication or access needs you or your child have
- Write down and bring your main questions and concerns
If you need help in creating or sharing a complete record of your child’s care, please let us know at your next appointment.
Schedule Your Child’s Well Visit Today
If it is time for your child’s well visit, please contact our office to schedule an appointment or request an appointment online. We encourage you to schedule your child’s check up a few weeks in advance to ensure the provider of your choice. We look forward to your visit with us.